The skin care industry is on a roll, currently witnessing a shift from demand from an older consumer market to a wider demographic of younger consumers. By 2025, the global skin care market is estimated to be worth US $189.3 billion.
In such a thriving space, the superfood sea moss, celebrated in cultures in and around the rocky beaches of the Atlantic Ocean, is becoming popular as a healthy, natural option for skin care and wellness.
How does sea moss work as a skin care agent? Here are seven ways that it benefits your skin:
Sea moss can help minimize the consequences of aging and the elements on skin. During dry winter periods, it can hydrate skin and protect from environmental factors with its components including vitamin A, vitamin K, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. This is specifically helpful for those whose skin always appears dry in spite of regular lotion or cream application; sea moss soothes skin naturally and results in a youthful look and silkier feel to touch.
Sea moss provides vitamin K, which improves skin elasticity and therefore reduces sagging, wrinkling, and dark circles under the eyes. The superfood nourishes skin and protects it from harmful ultraviolet rays as well. In fact, it’s been likened to surgical face lifts in producing a natural face lift.
Sea moss is an ally in making skin and hair soft through assisting in collagen production. It also contains citrulline-arginine, which is able to release amino acids that are crucial in collagen and protein synthesis.
Potent Acne Fighter
People suffering from acne or extremely oily skin can find great use in sea moss. Thanks to the algae’s antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties (as well as being non-comedogenic), sea moss is believed to assist in balancing the skin microbiome. Its rich sulfur content, for instance, can reduce excess sebum production in your skin. Paired with the antibacterial effect on the acne-causing bacteria propionibacterium, it may decrease the severity of acne.
Optimal Skin Function
Sea moss works on the cellular level to nourish skin and get it to an optimal level. Its soothing, anti-inflammatory properties are instrumental in improving conditions such as eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, and burns. It can also help prevent varicose veins.
How to Use Sea Moss for Skin Care
Perhaps you’re wondering how to easily incorporate sea moss into your everyday skin care routine. And perhaps you already have quite a meticulous skin care process from day to night. Here are some tips for using sea moss:
- Sea moss can be beneficial during the day or night. Its antioxidant effects, however, are particularly helpful during the day when your skin is exposed to the free radicals from UV rays and polluted conditions.
- Its high moisture levels allow you to see instant skin hydration.
- When used for acne, sea moss can take two to four weeks to show ideal outcomes.
- It’s best to do a patch test or consult your dermatologist if you’re using sea moss topically for skin care for the first time. Sensitive skin types may experience some irritation, especially with the use of DIY solutions like a face mask.
- Professional, pre-made sea moss formulas are recommended for skin care. This way, the ingredients are quality-sourced and professionally made. If you’re unsure about the quality and source of your raw sea moss, it might serve you well to look for a well-formulated product combining sea moss with other ingredients to provide maximum benefits.
Having provided these tips, there shouldn’t be anything stopping you from exploring DIY sea moss solutions — as long as you use pure, high-quality sea moss and other raw materials. Here’s a face mask recipe you can start with:
Sea Moss Gel and Turmeric Face Mask
- Prepare your sea moss gel. Wash, soak, and then blend the sea moss and turn it into a gel.
- Allow the gel to rest for about 10 to 14 hours. This way, your face mask becomes easier to mix.
- Add the dry ingredients, namely chlorella, kelp, maca, turmerica, spirulina, along with bentonite powders.
- Carefully mix in the sea moss gel. You will end up with a smooth, consistent paste to work as your face mask.
Busy and want a convenient way to nourish your skin with sea moss? Supplementation might be the next best thing. Taking organic sea moss capsules can lead to sustainable benefits for your skin, hair, and nails, nourishing you from the inside out. Beware, though, that you can actually take sea moss in excess, so stick to the recommended daily intake.