It seems like it just came out of nowhere, but sea moss is actually a long-kept secret of nature, particularly the beach along the Atlantic seaboard and the Caribbean. It’s the newest – and arguably the strongest – in your health and wellness arsenal.
Chock-full of minerals and nutrients that offer an optimum immune booster, sea moss is a seaweed, a macro-algae that’s naturally found on the likes of the Irish coast and Jamaica. It has earned so many titles including “nature’s multivitamin” and world’s best superfood.
Sea Moss Benefits 101
Let’s discuss sea moss and how it can possibly change your life and wellbeing for the better.
- A superior nutrient source – You don’t even have to worry about getting the nutrients that your body needs. Sea moss can supply more than 90% of those nutrients. In specific, sea moss has 92 of the 110 minerals that the body is made of, along with celebrated nutrients like vitamins A, B, and C. This powerhouse does a lot to keep your cells functioning well and better warding off disease and nutritional imbalance.
- An effective disease fighter – Sea moss empowers your “soldiers” on the battleground, strengthening your immune system and helping prevent illness. Also known as Irish moss, it assists the body in fighting back against aging and inflammation, as well as bacteria and viruses that can easily strike when the immune system’s down. Sea moss is also a reliable source of potassium chloride, helping ease inflammation and lower the risk of infection.
- A serious gut helper – Sea moss may help you digest your food. It’s a mucilaginous food, just like your favorite chia seeds for your breakfast smoothie. This texture makes it a wonderful soothing agent for mucus membrane, including – guess what – your digestive system! Animal studies reveal that sea moss can have a prebiotic effect, increasing the beneficial short-chain fatty acids in the guy and getting rid of bad bacteria in the colony. The result: improved overall gut health and immunity.
- A weight loss aide – One of the known constituents of sea moss is iodine, and in exceptionally high amounts. This mineral is found in limited amounts in food, yet it’s needed for producing thyroid hormones. The thyroid hormones govern many different processes of the body, including metabolism and therefore weight management. Watch your sources of iodine, though, as you wouldn’t want to overdo the amount in your system.
- A certified skin nourisher – Because of its vitamins and minerals, sea moss is well-positioned to help improve skin health. In fact, sea moss mask preparations may help sooth conditions like eczema, psoriasis, and burns. Sea moss simply provides benefits on a cellular level, and your skin is a lucky recipient of this benefit. Don’t forget about its collagen and how it firms up your skin!
- A mood booster – Sea moss is rich in magnesium and potassium, which are known mood enhancers. These minerals play an important role in brain function, and you might be surprised to know that when you fall short in either of them, you are likely to be cranky and feeling crappy. Sea moss is also protective of brain tissue, helping prevent degenerative disorders like Parkinson’s disease later in life.
How to Get Sea Moss Benefits Every Day
There are 101 ways to add sea moss to your diet. This might be a bit of an exaggeration, but this superfood comes in many different forms – from powders to raw whole form – that you can add it in virtually every dish or snack you like. It’s a versatile part of smoothies, soups and stews, baked foods, ice cream, and spreads, just how you like it.
Here’s a bonus: you can make sea moss lotion right from home! Here’s a quick recipe:
You will need the following:
- 1 tablespoon powdered Irish moss
- 1 cup distilled water
- ¼ cup aloe vera gel
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- Soak sea moss in distilled water for about 20 minutes. Pour the mixture into a small saucepan. Boil for 20 minutes. Strain off solids and you will end up with a clear jelly.
- Measure ¼ cup of the seaweed jelly. Afterwards, mix it with the aloe vera gel. Let the mixture cool completely.
- Pour the seaweed mixture into a blender, blending on low speed. Gradually add the almond oil in a thin stream until blended. Expect a white lotion with light consistency.
- Pour the sea moss lotion into a clean container. To use, massage a small amount into your skin as often as you find necessary.
One highly efficient way to get sea moss into your system is through supplementation. Capsules are easy to take, they come in a handy bottle, and they don’t take a lot of effort and time investment. What’s important is to find a high-quality sea moss supplement that is as safe as it is effective, and won’t break the bank.
Word to the wise don’t expect sea moss to work overnight. Like other supplements, it isn’t a miracle cure. You still need to do your part: eat a balanced diet, exercise, and keep your lifestyle healthy. This way you get maximum benefit from sea moss and its life-changing promise.