Mainstream news media have been quick to catch up on the sea moss trend, ever since Kim Kardashian herself promoted sea moss smoothie on her social media and sent everyone asking about the superfood. Now there’s enough sea moss nutrition facts, benefits, and information to go around and for people outside of the usual health food circles to discover its unique qualities.
Native to the Atlantic coast of North America and Europe, sea moss has been around since time immemorial. Also dubbed Irish moss for its popularity during the potato famine in Ireland in the 1840s, this food is used to cure a wide range of illnesses.
Before we dive deep into what these health conditions are, it’s important to note that sea moss offers an overwhelming majority of the minerals that the human body needs.
Sea Moss Components and Benefits
These essential minerals and other important nutrients include magnesium, calcium, vitamins B2 and B12, vitamin C, iron, zinc, fiber, and iodine. The latter is critical for the thyroid; the abundance of iodine in sea moss is touted as a natural miracle for optimal thyroid health.
Now, going into the potential health benefits, sea moss has been hailed by current research as well as anecdotes from various cultures worldwide for the following:
- Antimicrobial benefits. Sea moss possesses antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties that enable it to help thwart infection.
- Better digestion and gut wellness. Sea moss acts as a prebiotic for the gut, allowing “good” bacteria to thrive in the environment. It is also rich in fiber, promoting a healthy colon and digestion while getting rid of “bad” bacteria. It is in this manner that sea moss is also thought to promote weight loss and management through better metabolism and similar mechanisms.
- Immunity booster. In folk medicine, sea moss has been widely used to fight off common coughs, colds, and viruses like the flu. This is mostly attributed to its high amino acid and antioxidant content, making it stand out in natural immunity enhancement.
- Skin, nail, and hair health. Sea moss may also be key in vibrant skin and hair as it’s rich in sulfur, a rich feature of many skin care regimens, and collagen, which helps build the beauty and health of these body parts. For skin, sea moss face masks, moisturizers, and cleansers can offer antibacterial action to fight acne and skin problems like psoriasis and eczema. A natural or commercially prepared mixture with sea moss can also help condition hair.
- Enhanced mood and energy levels. Mood boosters like magnesium and potassium contribute to emotional and mental wellness. The iron content of sea moss, along with its vitamin B levels, also helps boost and sustain energy throughout the day.
Organic vs. Wildcrafted and Common Forms Used
There are so many forms of sea moss that abound on the market, and it takes due diligence to get the type and form that best serve your needs.
Know that wildcrafted sea moss tends to have the best benefits, according to a Chicago Tribune report. This is in light of many suppliers currently growing the algae in artificial salt pools, which are likely to be deficient in minerals and nutrients.
In health food stores and online, sea moss is typically sold in its raw, dried form. This is the basis for sea moss gel you can prepare at home on your own and add to dishes and other preparations.
To prepare sea moss gel, you simply need to soak raw sea moss in water overnight. Next, rinse and blend it with water until smooth. Move it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator overnight to achieve a gel consistency.
You may also consume sea moss as powder mixed into beverages, sprinkled over oats or yogurt, or added to meals.
As a nutritional supplement, sea moss in capsule form eliminates the need to process the algae on your own, namely spending hours washing, soaking, and blending the gel. It can be taken wherever at your convenient time.
Key to getting a fantastic sea moss experience is checking the packaging before buying it, and making sure you source it only from reputable makers to get the best benefits.