Sea moss, a fast-emerging superfood, contains 92 of the 110 minerals the body is actually made from. It’s a powerhouse of B vitamins, beta-carotene, vitamin C, as well as minerals that range from iodine and calcium to manganese and zinc.
Sea moss makes you healthy – that’s well and good! But one way to highlight what truly makes sea moss different is to offer its individual benefits. In this case, did you know that sea moss can help facilitate effective weight loss? Yes, and we’ll break this down into the specifics.
Being obese or overweight means having excess fat accumulation, as indicated by systems like body mass index (BMI). Having a BMI of greater than or equal to 25 means being in the overweight territory. Across the world, almost 2 billion adults were overweight in 2016 based on WHO statistics. More than 340 million kids, on the other hand, suffered from being overweight or obese in 2019.
Given the current obesity epidemic, what can be done to naturally manage your weight and shed the excess pounds?
The Basics: What Is Sea Moss and What Can It Do?
Also known by names like Irish moss, purple moss, and superfood of the sea, sea moss is rich in minerals such as magnesium, manganese, iodine, iron, and calcium. These influence fat metabolism, as well as regulate gut bacteria and control appetite. They also assist in muscle building and enhancing bone health.
Sea moss supplements often come in a combination formula, including bladderwrack and burdock root extracts. This combination can potentially benefit weight loss by improving digestion as well as helping the food move smoothly and efficiently through the system.
Here are specific ways that sea moss can positively affect the weight loss process:
- Sea moss optimizes gut health. It helps facilitate the growth of good gut bacteria, and the improved composition can help slash the risk of excess increase in weight. It can also contribute to better regulation of energy spent and stored in your body.
- Sea moss is a natural source of carrageenan, which the body is unable to digest properly which acts as a soluble fiber. Carrageenan thickens food such as baby formula, ice cream, puddings, and other desserts and snacks.
- Sea moss can help boost thyroid health. Low levels of thyroid hormones can actually cause weight gain. Thus treating underactive thyroid or iodine deficiency can be beneficial in weight maintenance. Watch your other sources of iodine, though, if you’re already taking sea moss regularly, as too much can lead to new thyroid problems.
- Sea moss can help boost and improve metabolism through its component known as citrulline-arginine. A fast metabolism is key in controlling weight gain and managing BMI effectively.
- Sea moss helps “grow” lean muscles. Those who are working out might find added benefit in supplementing with this type of seaweed. Ingredients like taurine, for example, can help facilitate weight loss and fat burning. They can help optimize your weight loss results!
While these benefits are backed by studies and practical experience among sea moss users, it’s important to remember that there is no magic bullet for weight loss. Supplementation has to be combined with smart lifestyle strategies, such as regular exercise, proper sleep, and effective stress management.
If you’re using sea moss for the first time, you may try commercially available sea moss gel to gradually add it to your diet. You may also make your own gel using easy to follow recipes online.
Keep reading the blog for a closer look at specific sea moss benefits.