What it is: Sea moss, the new wonder child of health-conscious eating and nutrition. Also known as Chondrus crispus and names like Irish moss, it’s a red algae growing along the Atlantic shores of the Caribbean, Europe, and North America.
From its 90+ minerals for the human body to its impressive whole body benefits, it’s a superfood that has garnered the attention of Kim Kardashian and others looking to supercharge their energy and wellbeing.
How it should be consumed: Many different ways! Let’s have a look at the five ways that you can prepare and consume this superfood for optimum nutrition.
First, How to Make Sea Moss Gel
The most common way of using sea moss is in gel form. Sea moss gel is soaked sea moss blended with water. It’s best sourced from raw dried sea moss and you can make your own gel at home. It’s easy, albeit can be time-consuming and access to pure sea moss can be a problem. However, if you don’t have a problem accessing high-quality raw sea moss then go for it.
Some people also add bladderwrack or elderberry to their sea moss, giving it a nutrient boost.
Here are quick steps to create your own sea moss gel:
Remove the raw sea moss from its package. Rinse it thoroughly using filtered or spring water.
Fill a bowl with water and place the sea moss in. soak for four to eight hours.
Once soaked, drain water from the bowl. You’ll find that the seaweed is now almost translucent in color and has expanded twice its size earlier.
Put the sea moss and filtered water inside a high-speed blender. Blend them for one to two minutes until smooth.
Pour it into a glass jar and place a lid on top. You may store it in the refrigerator until solid in form.
5 Ways to Consume – and Enjoy – Your Sea Moss
Here’s the fun part: consuming your sea moss in various creative ways:
- Breakfast smoothie – Get a surge of energy without being overly stimulated in the morning with a glass of sea moss smoothie. It’s not just versatile in flavors and textures (try adding chia seeds, chocolate, or berries), but also filled with tons of omega-3 fats, antioxidants, and amino acids, getting you ready for the day ahead. Ask Kim K as she posted this on social media!
- Jamaican sea moss drink – Consumed traditionally in the region, the Jamaican sea moss drink comes from a blend of non-dairy milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. This vegan and gluten-free treat is also considered a love potion, believed to work wonders on sexual potency and vitality.
- Thickener in desserts and dishes – Did you know that sea moss is often deemed “vegan gelatin”? This is because sea moss has a naturally mucilaginous, gel-like consistency, beneficial in thickening foods naturally. You may add it in your soups and stews, dressings and sauces, ice cream, pudding, and other desserts.
- Addition to your favorite jam or spread – Turn your jam into a superfood with sea moss added in it. Your favorite blueberry or strawberry chia jam, for instance, combine many different health foods in one and taste amazing.
- Face mask for a healthy glow – One way to “consume” sea moss is to let your skin get some loving and soak up all the nutrients in the seaweed. Sea moss helps the body produce collagen, as well as offers a formidable list of skin-friendly vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It can also help address acne breakouts with its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Apply sea moss gel directly to your face and see a glowing difference.
Sea Moss Supplements for Ease and Convenience
Not everyone, however, has the luxury of time to prepare sea moss gel, or good access to pure, raw, high-quality sea moss. In this case, sea moss capsules might be the soundest option, for the following compelling reasons:
- No more spending hours preparing raw sea moss and washing, soaking, and blending it into gel form
Sea moss can be a part of your daily life with a trusty supplement formula
- The capsule form has components that when co-administered with other nutrients can enhance the bioavailability and absorption of the nutrients in it
- Lab-tested and produced in the United States, ensuring quality and efficacy
- A 100% money back guarantee if you don’t find that sea moss capsules work for you
As a bonus, have you tried using sea moss to water your plants? It can also be great for the health of your soil, supplying a ton of needed nutrients. You may use sea moss water once a month. Just mix one to two tablespoons of sea moss gel into a half gallon of water. Wait for your plants to grow beautifully from then on!